The NATO foreign ministers at the meeting in Brussels have agreed to start developing a strategic multi-year assistance programme for Ukraine, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said, Novaya Gazeta Europe reports.
“Our support will continue for the long haul to increase Ukraine’s interoperability with NATO, and to bring it up to NATO standards,” he noted.
According to him, the programme is planned as a multi-year project and will strengthen Ukraine’s armed forces and arrangements for Ukraine’s security.
Previously, the sides discussed the “reforms Ukraine is undertaking to fight corruption, strengthen the rule of law and to protect minority rights” at a meeting with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba.
“We do not know when this war will end. But when it does, we must ensure that President Putin cannot continue to chip away at European security,” Stoltenberg added.
“And we look forward to meeting President Zelensky at our Vilnius Summit in July. <…> So by the Vilnius summit, I think we will have a substantial amount of money and also commitment to support for many years the multi-year programme,” the NATO chief said on Tuesday.
Earlier today, Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky held a joint press conference with his Polish counterpart Andrzej Duda during his official visit to Poland.
“I would like to say and communicate to all our partners who constantly seek compromises for Ukraine on its way to NATO that Ukraine would be uncompromising on this issue and I am grateful that Poland is with us in this cause,,” Zelensky said.