logo
NewsSociety

Armenia and Azerbaijan agree on ceasefire

Armenia and Azerbaijan have agreed to establish a ceasefire from 20:00 on 14 September, Secretary of the Security Council of Armenia Armen Grigoryan said on Armenian TV in the early hours of 15 September.

“With the help of the international community, we have managed to reach a ceasefire agreement starting 20:00 14 September. We hope that Azerbaijan will adhere to this agreement,” Grigoryan said.

He added that there is no document that Armenia plans to sign with Azerbaijan.

Baku did not confirm this information.

Earlier, several thousand protesters gathered in front of the Armenian parliament building. The protesters demanded the resignation of Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan, who stated earlier that he was ready to sign a peace deal with Azerbaijan. The PM later refused to sign the agreement, according to which Armenia was to possibly give up the territories of Nagorno-Karabakh.

More stories

More stories

“Russia's role here is passive voice”

Why did Azerbaijan attack Armenia and how might Russia react to this? Here's the answers to the hottest questions on the current conflict

In the early hours of September 13, the Armenian Ministry of Defence reported an Azerbaijan-conducted shelling of Armenia’s territory not far from the unrecognised territory of Nagorno-Karabakh. The shelled towns, Goris and Jermuk, are not part of Nagorno-Karabakh and are internationally recognised to be Armenian. In response, Azerbaijan’s Defence Ministry released a statement accusing Yerevan of a “large-scale military provocation”. Yesterday, Pashinyan stated that 105 Armenian soldiers had been killed in the hostilities already. Azerbaijan’s defence officials reported that 50 of their soldiers had been killed.

shareprint
Editor in chief — Kirill Martynov. Terms of use. Privacy policy.
We use cookies.
Privacy policy.
close

К сожалению, браузер, которым вы пользуетесь, устарел и не позволяет корректно отображать сайт. Пожалуйста, установите любой из современных браузеров.